I'm going to put my super-partisan hat on and say that I love the affordability stuff that the NDP announced.I fantasize about a world where VISA doesn't get to rip me off. Wish Jack could have been Prime Minister before my student years.
The plan calls for:
- An end to hidden fees with laws requiring full disclosure of charges by banks, cellphone operators, and other companies, including the unfair practice of charging more for cellphone text messages.
- A ban on ATM fees "so you don't have to pay to get your own money," Layton said
- A tough price monitoring agency and a fuel prices ombudsman to "stop gas companies from having the arbitrary power to gouge Canadians."
- A cap on interest rates and fees charged by "fringe banks" on so-called "payday loans."
- A five per cent over prime cap on credit card interest rates